Monday 12 September 2011

Steampunk Submarine Suggests Crafted Chronometer - Dutifully, Dan Divulges Details!

The theme for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is "Steampunk", a style that I've always found inspiring. According to the Wikipedia definition of steampunk, "Perhaps the most well known example of steampunk is Captain Nemo's Nautilus submarine in Walt Disney's 1954 film version of Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea."


I've always loved that movie ever since I was a kid, so much so that when I was a student, studying computer animation and games development, I created a game inspired by the movie.  A screenshot from the game is shown above.  That's more years ago than I care to think about, so this steampunk stuff has been a favourite of mine for a loooong time! :)

I decided to create a porthole clock, inspired by the movie.  I started by cutting 2 circles from card and covering them with 10 Seconds Studio copper metal.  The bottom circle had first been embossed with the Clockworks embossing folder, as had the metal covering the square of card below it.

I inserted large silver brads into the smaller circle, to act as rivets marking the hour positions and then fixed the smaller circle to the larger one.  I used distress stains in a range of colours to age the copper a little.  I cut a circle of thick clear plastic from some packaging and stuck it behind the circles to be the glass in the clock.  The clock face was stamped and mounted behind the glass using black 3d foam, and the hands were held in place with a brad.

I painted the metal square with Claudine Hellmuth black paint and let it dry, then buffed it with a dry paper towel to reveal the silver of the metal in the raised areas.  I stuck the clock onto the square and then stuck that onto a larger square covered in plain copper.  That was then stuck to a square of Tim Holtz's Kraft Resist paper and then onto a square of chipboard covered in black card.

Finally, I stuck the "82" plaquette to the hanger, and a couple of cogs and brads onto the hanger's clips.  That, as they say, was that! :)

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

26 comments :

Julian said...

This piece is fantastic - layer upon layer of interest. What I really love about it is that despite having so many elements and textures, the visual composition remains clean and coherent. Also love how you've echoed the metallic hues in the colours you applied to the backing card. Such a strong piece, with a real feeling of substance and heft.

Great looking game too!

Laura said...

Looking fab. Very clever.

misteejay said...

Dan this is just amazing. What a wonderful piece of work - it is truly beautiful.

Toni :o)

Sid said...

Great piece and great subject too !!

Kerry said...

Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

First of all I love your blog title and your piece of art is just fabulous, I just love the whole idea, love how you have marked each hour on your clock too. Layer upon layer of creativity. Very inspirational and I love your take on the challenge. Tracy x

Trish said...

Fabulous! so creative, i love it!

DragonSlayer - Sarah said...

Awesome, as always! :-)

Gabby said...

Wow! What an amazing, clever pot-hole clock! Very nice project! :)

Katherine said...

Wow that is gorgeous - love all the coggs and metallic colours - you know I think I will have to dig that movie out, as I haven't seen it in ages and the kids would love it :)

Candy C said...

Dan, I am just in awe of your steampunk clock. I am so glad you included all the details because there is so much to know about the construction of this magnificent clock. Your attention to detail on this one is amazing! LOVE the idea of the brads as the hours on a clock. Love the black distressed metal background. Love the black foam mounting idea with the plastic packaging to cover the face. This is just sheer genius! <3 Candy

Girlsinthecraft said...

This is simply amazing!

france papillon said...

absolutely awesome! it looks so real, i mean profesionally made! yummi!

Sue Jones said...

WOW! Its FAB!!

Nancy Wethington said...

WOW Dan, this is fabulous! The idea for the porthole rocks!

tea_bag said...

fab as always

Claire said...

Wow, wow, wow Dan love it. Truly fantastic.
C
xx

Glen said...

Cool chronometer Dan. Great take on your designed game. TFS. ~Glen~

Ali said...

Wow, just beautiful, love the numbers and the detail is awesome. what a great use of a humble coat hanger.

Jenny said...

That is awesome, I love it. There's so much going on and it looks fantastic.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Very cool creation, Dan! I especially love all the studding around the clock!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Sarah said...

Glad you explained the game - I thought what the heck is that? See you were ahead of your time...
I so love the clock and it has such a genuine nautical vintage look to it. An inspired piece of authentic Steampunk!

voodoo vixen said...

Steampunk and clocks... it really doesn't get any better in my books and your clock is divine indeedy!!

Jane Wetzel said...

this is just so incredibly cool!

Lynne Forsythe said...

DAN....once again you have TOTALLY blown me away with your STELLAR creation!

Dorothy said...

Awesome Dan!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails