Monday 12 November 2012

Look Ma, No Ink!


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is "stamp without ink".  I decided to stamp with water and gesso.  This year I feel like I want my Christmas to have a more hand-made feel to it, so I will be making some of my own decorations for the tree and around the house.  This ornament seemed to be the perfect starting point!

I had some blank round beer mats kicking around in my craft room so decided to use one of those as the base.  I applied Broken China distress ink to it and edged with a little Faded Jeans.  The snow flakes were stamped in water and gesso, so that some were clear and bold while others were blurry and would appear further in the background.  If you try this yourself, don't forget to clean your stamp immediately, before the gesso dries on it!

The nutcracker was stamped onto the ornament in black, and then stamped again onto white typing paper.  The copy on paper was coloured and cut out and then lined up with the image on the ornament and fixed in place.  He doesn't actually have eyes or a mouth on the stamp, so I added those with a black Distress marker.  He was coloured with a range of Promarker colours.

I cut a piece of "snow" freehand from white card and fixed it to the top of the ornament (with a liberal application of rock candy distress stickles on top!).  The final step was to cut out a piece of card for the top of the ornament.  I coloured it with brass distress stain and added an eyelet so I can easily hang it onto the tree.

Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!








10 comments :

Julian said...

That is an absolutely gorgeous ornament and one that would look so pretty on any Christmas tree. I especially love the blue background with the snowflakes - you've achieved a great sense of depth with the techniques you've used. Christmas seems to bring out the joy in your work :)

Candy C said...

Dan, I love your ornament! The blueprint soldier really pops against your very bold Broken China and snowflake background. I love how your snowflakes turned out...using the water and gesso. I'm going to have to try that! Love how you brightly colored your soldier. He's adorable! <3 Candy

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Dan, love your handmade ornament, the snowflakes in the background are fabulous, love how you have stamped with water and Gesso, very clever. I also love how you gave the soldier eyes and a mouth and he is coloured fabulously. Tracy x x

Andrea said...

what a brilliant idea Dan and how great will that ornament look on my I mean your tree LOL, must not be greedy now must I as I have tags of yours that adorn my tree every year. you will be able to treasure your tree decs for years to come x

Sandra said...

Very cool idea to make that beer mat into a ornamant ! Stunning! hugs, Sandra

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Neat creation, Dan! I love the bright colors & the way you turned it into an ornament :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Tracey said...

Fabulous ornament Dan!!

Claudine said...

Wonderful ornament Dan! I love that you gave him a mouth and eyes. Excellent!!!

Words and Pictures said...

Love the delicate snowflakes - the gesso stamping looks great. The soldier is starting to look like a wishlist candidate!
Alison x

Maura said...

Dan, I love what you did with this! I have some plain round coasters, and now I know how I am going to turn them in to ornaments - thanks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails